Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Dangers of Television

I found this while rummaging through a magazine basket in our study. I thought it was worth sharing. I was only two when my dad took television out of our home. I can't imagine life with it. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad. I know plenty of very Godly people who do have television, but I am sure they would even agree with this list!


The Dangers of Television

It provides great temptation to sin.

It robs children of their innocence.

It desensitizes.

It corrupts our values.

It mesmerizes and feeds the subconscious.

It teaches bad behavior.

It promotes political apathy.

It creates needs.

It creates Godless heroes.

It promotes Godless problem solving.

It fuels the imagination with negative images.

It creates a false reality.

It teaches a "no consequence" lifestyle.

It breeds unreal fear.

It promotes mistrust and cynicism.

It feeds self-centeredness and self-indulgence.

It breeds impatience.

It breeds intolerance of deprivation and moderation.

IT destroys the attention span.

It creates learning disabilities.

It creates an appetite for entertainment.

It destroys creativity.

It hinders the reasoning process.

It creates artificially induced stress.

It promotes violence.

It breaks down interpersonal communication.

It desensationalizes miracles.

It feeds the desire for supernatural and occult power.

It is addictive in nature.

It can be habit-forming.

It is damaging to our physical health.

It breeds a youth subculture.

It tells you what you need.

It sets fashion standards.

It is a waste of time.

by: Pastor Reb Bradley

"Turn away my eyes from looking on worthless things, And revive me in Your way." Psalms 119:37

~McKenzie Elizabeth~

13 comments:

Haley said...

Mckenzie,
I totally agree. Everything he stated is so true! Thanks for sharing!
-Haley

Kayla said...

Very true Thanks!!!
Kayla

Unknown said...

Amen to that!
We actually do have a TV, but we don't have cable, and so all we can get is the news and some sports, so it is almost never on. We watch good movies on DVD instead. =)
Good points though!

~Madison

Abigail and Lydia said...

Hi McKenzie-
That is very true!
Lydia

Sunlan said...

Hi Miss McKenzie, :)
I agree with you on some of things you said, but I also disagree with somethings...I have a T.V., but like Madison said, I don't have cable, so I don't watch T.V. that much. But I watch movies with my family. :)
In Christ,
~Jewel K

Eliza said...

Hello McKenzie!
I think you know who I am by now, Emma's sister.
Those are very good points. I really enjoy reading your blog!
Eliza

Anonymous said...

McKenzie,
Like everyone else--it's true. That might make me stop watching TV (except for a little bit).
~Logan

Anonymous said...

So much time is squandered on the television but I also think an occoasion viewing of a family friendly film is harmless. My family doesn't have cable but we have VCR's/DVD players becuase we use them for our homeschool classes. God post-thanks for sharing.

P.S. Feel free to visit my blog if you want.

Laura said...

McKenzie, Hello! I am Laura, a friend of Madelines, and Emma's sister. I think that is very true. :) I really like it, it is something to think about. I don't think that there is something wrong about watching a little of TV, but to watch it so much, and to watch things that are bad IS wrong.:) Thank you for sharing such wonderful things on here! :)
Love in Jesus Christ my Savior,
Laura S

Stephanie L.S. said...

So true! We have a tv but haven't had cable for 7 years, we just watch movies.

Anonymous said...

Hey McKenzie!

Yes, that is very true. We have a TV, but we only use it for watching historical movies and school stuff on.

Much Love♥,
Hannah Paige

Anonymous said...

Hmm, food for thought...sometimes it's easier to do without something altogether than to try to limit the amount of time/type of programs. Like a lot of your viewers have said, I've grown up with a no-cable, VCR/DVD-only TV, but there's still risk there. thanks for your thought-provoking post! Btw, what magazine was Reb Bradley featured in?

Mia said...

AMEN!
So true!! We call our television "The Beast" haha! We only use it for educational/history dvd's..I'm so glad we stopped cable years ago!