OK.... It is midnight and I am trying to decide where to begin..... I guess I will start at the very beginning, for I have heard it is a very good place to start (My apologies to Julie Andrews!)
On Wednesday morning I awoke to the sound of a fire engine outside my window. Ever since I was little I have purposed to pray when I hear sirens from emergency vehicles, so when I heard the siren I immediately sat up and began to pray for the unfortunate person(s) that was having a "bad" day. As I was sitting in my bed groggily mumbling out my prayer, I suddenly became aware that the sound was becoming much louder. I pulled the curtains back and to my great surprise a big red fire engine pulled into Pecan Pastures! Of course my two little sisters popped out from under their quilt and ran over to my bed to see out the window. I almost laughed realizing that I was that "unfortunate person" I had been praying for only a few moments ago:) Before I knew what was going on I thought maybe Malachi had dialed 9-11!
To make a very long story short, our well house caught on fire and burned to the ground. It was positively frightful to see such a large out building go up in flames so quickly, and turn into a big pile of rubble. We had to have two trucks come out, because the first fire engine that came ran out of water.
It was such a desperate feeling to have our well destroyed. We were so grateful to the dear neighbors around us all willing to open their homes to us offering showers and laundry. Our closest neighbor hooked our hose up to their house so we can keep our animals watered!
On a side note we have been without heat in our downstairs for the last week. The part that needs to be replaced won't be in for another week! Unfortunately, it has been unseasonably cold here in the south lately!
Needless to say we had to stay in a hotel room that night. It was warm and clean but even having two rooms it was too crowded. We love being together but not together if you understand what I am saying!:) Also breakfast was a huge disappointment!! You can laugh if you want to, but when you have six kids (one of which is a teenage boy that never stops eating!) you would know what I mean!
This morning an electrician came out to start repairs on our well. He assured us that though the well system would have to be moved later on when we rebuild our well house, they would have it up and running that afternoon so we could move back into our home. Dad took Matt, Madeline, and Mariah back to the house to feed animals and to work on their school work. I stayed behind to help Momma pack up everything and bathe the little boys before we went to town to wash clothes at a laundry mat. Though we were tired, we packed up our things together with a light heart knowing we would be back in our house that night and be able to take baths in our own house and wash clothes!!
Unfortunately our hopes of returning home were dashed when my father was told the water would not be restored today!
So, my dear readers I give you this update from the Hampton Inn (the second hotel and Lord willing the last!) Oh for the comforts of home and a normal routine!! And YES, water! You know it is bad when your momma says she can stand not having heat as long as she has water!
If you would please pray that we do not have to drill another well and that we can go home soon!
I will update again later (hopefully from home!) Lots of pictures too.
~M.E.~
Thursday, December 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Prayers, McKenzie!!!
Awww thats no fun:(
I Hope and Pray that Ya'll are back home again, and that everything is going well there!
God Bless!
Kerri
We will be praying McKenzie! Hope that you and your family will be home soon..... (with water AND heat!) :)
Love you!!!
~Carrington Faith
Oh my! What an eventful weekend! As sad and inconvenient as it must be to lose your well house (and the comfort of home for a few days!), I couldn't help but give thanks for protecting your home. You see, the day after thanksgiving we watched our neighbor's beautiful home burn to the ground. It was very traumatic and has been a life-changing experience for me that has left me with a very grateful heart! I'm sure you and your family are praising God through this, too! =)Hope you get your heat soon!!
Post a Comment