Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Preaching At Myself

Okay, so that was probably the most random post title I have ever come up with...Probably the dorkiest too, but this is my blog. ;) Honestly, that title pretty much sums up my reason for writing most posts. Lately, I have come to the realization that often times when walking through different situations in life, I need to simply write what's in my head. What I share on Pecan Pastures is what God is teaching me, what He is bringing me through, and what He is preparing me for.

I recently met a dear young woman over a site for home school graduates. She and I have been corresponding for a while now and today we talked for the first time over the phone. It was a wonderful time of fellowship and encouraging one another in our walks with the Lord.
This particular friend shared with me how she is trying to stay busy and discover what God has for her during this season in her life. Like many girls I know, she has a desire to be married and have a family of her own, but Mr. Right hasn't shown up yet.
 It is during those seasons of stillness that Satan can whisper cunning lies into our ears and fill our hearts with despair. I shared with her that I have become aware of how quickly my dreams can become idols, and how good things can so easily steal my focus away from Christ onto what I want out of life.
Growing up I heard over and over again that being a wife and a mother is one of God's highest callings on a woman's life. After almost two decades of being in a home where I have seen that role so beautifully played out, I dreamed of receiving that calling myself.
I worked by my mom's side so that I could prepare for being the best help meet, homemaker, and mommy possible. Before too long, that longing became my sole focus and truthfully... it became my idol.
I inwardly justified it because it was a "Biblical calling", but nevertheless, it took my focus off of Christ and onto what I wanted.
I shared with this friend something that has truly encouraged me lately, and that is this; Until God (without our help:) brings the next season of life, where we are is truly God's HIGHEST calling for our lives.
His calling on each persons' life is going to be radically different, but if we come to Him with an obedient heart He will use us. "Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place." 2 Corinthians 2:14
This past week I have been learning first hand at how God's calling in my life is going to look very different than I originally thought.  I find Him using me in some of what would seem the most unlikely places. More on that in a future post...

Well, for some of you, this post may seem like a bunch of rambling. :) My prayer is that as you are reading about the different things God is showing and teaching me, you walk away encouraged in some way.
Again I want to state that my purpose for writing on this blog is to record the different things God is doing in my life, so that when I am in need of encouragement I can come back to these posts. My mom has told me a million times that it doesn't do a bit of good to have a lot of "head knowledge" if it doesn't sink into your heart. Sometimes when I blog (preach at myself) a little of that head knowledge begins to "sink into my heart".

Since I began writing this post, God has been doing some pretty amazing stuff! As the puzzle pieces of God's plan for my life begin to fall into place, I am looking forward to sharing it with you!

 "Grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen." Ephesians 6:24

In Him-
m.e.

9 comments:

Julia said...

I'm so excited to see what God's going to do in your life, McKenzie! I so enjoyed our Skype chat and will definitely be praying. :)

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

Thank you so much for your prayers, Julia! I really enjoyed it too! Thank you for being such an encouraging friend!

Abby said...

Thanks for that encouraging post McKenzie! I hope y'all have been doing well, miss you guys! -Abby S.

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

I am glad you were encouraged, Abby! Miss you too! Lord willing we will see you all soon. :)

Beth said...

Allowing others to learn from your life experiences by writing about your struggles, which is not always easy,could be what gets some one through a rough spot in their life. You are being a wonderful example in learning life's lessons with grace. :)

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

Thank you for your kind words, Beth. You are a blessing!

Marc said...

McKenzie,

I am encouraged how much you have grown spiritually over the years. I know God will continue to bless you as you seek to honor Him.

Love you,

Dad

Nehemiah 4:14

Breathe Deep said...

This post is REALLY great Mckenzie!
I especially liked the part where you said "where we are is truly God's HIGHEST calling for our lives".
SO true! I think so often we fall into the trap of spending all of our time hoping for more, instead of letting ourselves be used by God right where we are.
So ya, as I already said... LOVE this post!
I'm looking forward to reading more!
Jennifer

Willys and Elizabeth (Lizzie) said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I needed to read this!