One evening after my dad and I had been working out in the barn yard, he and Momma told me to go upstairs and get cleaned up because I was going out to eat. I was slightly confused for we normally all go out to eat together and it wasn't my birthday. I proceeded to get more confused when she made me get dressed up in something nice and then took several pictures with daddy:) As a "nosy first born" I love to be "in the know", and that night neither of them would tell me anything!:)
Daddy drove me to town and we had dinner at a beautiful old-fashioned restaurant. Apparently Momma had called ahead of time and requested that we sit somewhere by ourselves. After a delicious meal daddy pulled a little red box from his pocket and handed it to me. I was so surprised when I opened it! When we got back home momma and daddy talked about all that my purity ring symbolized. The company that they ordered if from included a letter which was a covenant between myself, my parents and God. I was committing to remain pure and my parents were committing to protect me. We all signed it. My father wears a "key" pin on his lapel which symbolizes that he is protecting and guarding my heart until the Lord brings the right man along. My ring is the shape of a heart with a "key hole" in it. One day if the Lord wills that I marry, he will present a card and the pin to my future husband.
Of course my dear sweet little sisters (Madeline and Mariah) were still awake when I went to bed:) Mariah's (she at the time was 4 years old) little blond head popped up and asked so very sweetly, "So, when are you going to get married?!! " I laughed and quickly explained that my new ring was a purity ring not an engagement ring!!!
When I received my purity ring I understood that I was not only committing to keeping myself pure physically, but emotionally as well. It meant that I would approach marriage from a biblical point of view ( known to some as courtship) refraining from what is commonly known as dating.
For all the girls in my house, courtship means that when any potential suitor is interested in any one of us he will go through our father first. And for my brothers they will have to be the one to approach someone else's father! I understood that courtship was two young people with the blessing of their parents, beginning a relationship with the purpose of marriage.
Recently my dear friend Sarah and her family came for a visit (I will be posting pictures from their visit soon) . She had just received her purity ring for Christmas and she allowed me to do some photography of her new ring. I had a wonderful time and I thought I would share a few of the pictures with you...
My beautiful friend Sarah and her purity ring.


This is a picture of Sarah's and my ring.
Daddy's pinMuch Love and Many Blessings
~M.E.~



10 comments:
I have one that is a wrap around ring. I got for my birthday this past year! But, sadly it is breaking so I don't wear it as much..... hopefully I will get a new one!
Hi McKenzie,
Enjoyed reading your post... Mariah's question made me smile! =) Pretty pictures!
~Lydia~
Wish we had known abot this when my girls were young. It would have saved a lot of heartache. I am proud of your parents and of you. Love you - Gran
Wonderful post, McKenzie! I too have a purity ring and I actually refer to it as an engagement ring - to my future husband. :) I think my friend's parents got her purity ring at the exact place that your's came from. It has a little key hole in the ring and it came with a little key that her dad has. I couldn't quite see in the picture, but does yours have your birthstone? My friend's does. I really like your friends ring! It's very pretty! Mine has a diamond in the middle and then on one side of the set diamond it says: Purity, and on the other side: "Psalm 51:10". I love it! :)
Keep up the lovely work on your blog!
Blessings!
~Miss Raquel
McKenzie Elizabeth, that was a lovely story and I enjoyed the little bit of humor that came from your little sister's question.=) By the way, I found your blog through the Sister's blog. If you'd like, drop by my Footprints in the Sand blog. Have a blessed Sunday.
-Elizabeth J.
Stay fervent in your beliefs and commitments.
Love,
Dad
That was a super sweet post! I'll have to show you a picture of my ring sometime!
I LOVE the idea of your dad's pin for protecting your heart! That is so sweet. I have never heard of that. I actually don't have a purity ring, but our family definitely believes in a biblical approach to marriage or "courtship", and the importance of remaining physically and emotionally pure. thanks for sharing your story!
~Leanna
McKenzie! Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. The above story is absolutely precious! I also have a purity ring and got it when I was 13! I love your writing and can't wait for more!
Hayden Lorraine~
Ecclesiastes 3:1
Hi McKenzie,
I enjoyed reading about your purity ring because I have one too!
I;ve enjoyed looking at your blog every now and then too. I met you at the Vision Forum Father/Daughter Retreat in GA. in 2008. My Daddy and two other sisters sat at the same tea table as you, your Daddy, and sister! :) If you check out our blog and go back to the F/D Retreat posts you can see all the pictures.
God Bless You!
~Shiloh
Post a Comment