Sunday, February 28, 2010

My New Hope Chest...

"A Hope Chest is more than a wooden box and the treasures hidden within its depths... The Hope Chest contains the love, hope and dreams parents have for their daughter. This is shown in a very special and physical way with each and every item the parent has searched for, considered, and either accepted or declined. It is not the money that goes into the acquisition of a Hope Chest that will make it special, but the love, time and effort of a parent for their child..."
Rebekah Wilson- Author of "The Hope Chest ~ A legacy of Love"

Ever since I was little, I adored any type of old furniture. I was always especially fond of trunks and chests. There was just something so beautiful and mysterious about an old wooden chest that stood locked in some room or attic, holding within itself precious memories of days gone by. As a young girl I asked my parents when I might receive my hope chest. My Momma always would tell me, "You might get one when you turn sixteen." I would inwardly groan thinking that sixteen was so old and so far away:)!! Well, I am now sixteen going on seventeen and I have received that long awaited treasure. My hope chest was hand crafted by an Amish man in Pennsylvania. It is absolutely beautiful and the craftsmanship is magnificent!
Some of the items that have been placed in my hope chest are...
A beautiful hand stitched quilt made by my Grandmother
Several books my grandmother read to me when I was small (two of which she made.)
A beautiful teacloth and brightly colored kitchen cloth made by a sweet lady in our church
A lovely scrap book given to me by my dear cousin Abigail
A homemade apron from my Grandma
Three wonderful kitchen cloths given to me from my dear friend Hannah
Two adorable old-fashioned, glass ice cream cups
And a french bread pan:)

Two questions that people have asked me are, "Do you have your drivers license?" or, "Did your daddy buy you a car for your sixteenth birthday?" Well, I may not have gotten car keys for my birthday, but I got hope chest keys!!:)

I had so much fun rearranging " the girls" room! My sisters love my hope chest and Mariah (7) said " I just can't wait till I'm sixteen"!

~ The End~

I would love to know what you ladies out there put in your hope chest! If you have the time please comment and leave your ideas! I still have a lot more space to fill:)

Much Love & Many Blessings

~M.E.~

6 comments:

Haley said...

Oh, it's so pretty! Yeah, we do the same thing, when we're sixteen we get a hopechest. :) I only have to wait one more year!!

haydenlorraine said...

I cannot wait till I get mine! There are so many things you can absolutely stuff lt with! Doilies, dresser scarves, wall hangings, hand embroidered bibs for the little one you might have some day, knitted throws, hand painted china, serving pieces, memorabilia from now that your future daughter may enjoy, your most teasured books, sewing supplies, art, nic nacs for your future home etc... The list is limitless. Have fun filling it!
Hayden Lorraine~
Ecc. 3:1

Mia said...

How exciting!!
It's the perfect size too :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! That's so exciting!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty hope chest! My sister's brother-in-law sells Amish chests in PA and makes some himself! I'm like you, I lOVE old furniture!

Although I don't have an actual chest, I do have some "hope chest" items, including a set of mixing bowls and spoons from a friend; my grandmother's china; and some old-fashioned ice cream cups like you! =)

By the way, I know Hannah already awarded you the lemonade stand award, but I passed mine on to you as well! =)

Kayla said...

Hello I am Kayla!
I found your blog and really enjoy visiting it!


Your Hope Chest is so beatiful! It is very exciting to have a hopechest!!